Saturday, February 9, 2013

Living Room Floor


Been trying to decide what kind of floor I wanted in the living room. I did some research and it seems that most old houses had wood floors. I like the looks of the old plank flooring. So, I decided that is what I would put in this house.

I cut my wood to size and then used an xacto knife to mark it up and trim off the sides of the "planks". Some of the boards broke when I cut them on the ends, so I kept it that way so it would look like there were holes in the floor. I remember one house we lived in that had several boards that had broke over the years and little chips were missing. One of the boards you could see straight down to the basement. During the winter it was cold there, you could feel the breeze blowing up from the basement. Brrr.....

I made my paper floor template and then added the wood planking. ;)  Once the glue was dry I drilled tiny holes in the boards to resemble nail holes. I tried to figure out what to put into the holes that would dry quickly and would look dark like a nail head. I decided to add a little bit of black and brown paint to some filler and it turned out great. Here is a picture of the flooring with all the holes covered. (a little messy)

 Once that was all dry I used stain all over the flooring, wiped it off and then dabbed some more stain in spots to create a few dark areas. 


I still need to sand the floor down a little bit to take the "new" look off. But, I love the way it turned out.



No comments:

Post a Comment